Skip to main content

Pilsenprole guide to May Day 2010…


Pilsenprole guide to May Day 2010…

As promised on today’s episode of Labor Express Radio, I will try to provide here the most complete list of May Day related events in the Chicago area as I can…


Saturday, May 1st

May Day March for Immigrant Rights

Gather at Union Park (Ashland and Washington, Chicago) at 1:00 P.M.

March will leave the park for Daley Plaza at 3:00 P.M.

http://icirr.org/en/node/4622



Saturday, May 1st

May Day Commemoration at Haymarket Square (Corner of DesPlaines and Randolph)

Join nearly 70 trade unionists from Zenroren in dedicating a new plaque to the Haymarket Square Monument.

Event will begin at 10:00 A.M.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=44064534074#!/event.php?eid=109992122357582&index=1



Thursday, April 29th – Sunday, May 2nd

A Century+ of May Days: Labor and Social Struggles International Conference

Organized by the Institute of Working Class History

Hosted by International Studies Program at DePaul University

Most Sessions held at DePaul University, 2320-2322 N. Kenmore

For registration and more info…

http://www.mayday2010.info/index.html



Friday, April 30th

May Day Music Show sponsored by the Chicago IWW

Featuring Tom Morello and Bucky Halker

Bottom Lounge – 1375 W. Lake St., Chicago

Tickets available at… http://www.mpshows.com/



Friday, April 30th

9:00 P.M.

Tatsu Aoki and his Miyumi Project, special jazz performance for a delegation of Japanese trade unionists

Velvet Lounge, 67 East Cermak Road, Chicago

$15 cover charge

Sponsored by the Illinois Labor History Society

http://miyumiproject.com/



Sunday, May 2nd

Potluck Picnic

Waldheim Cemetery – 1400 S. Des Plaines, Forest Park

12 P.M. – 4:30 P.M.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The occupation has ended but the struggle goes on…

The occupation of La Casita at Whittier was brought to a close tonight. The Whittier parents are declaring victory in the battle of La Casita as Ron Huberman’s office put in writing today the guarantee not to demolish the field house and to lease it to the parents group at $1 a year. However the war is far from over… The issue of the library is yet to be resolved. CPS still insists that they can find space inside the school building for the library. The parents insist there is no space in the school and that the library should be located in the field house. The parents insist that Huberman and Alderman Solis already agreed that TIF funds would be used to complete the repairs necessary at La Casita. Huberman’s letter today did not make this clear. A half block away from Whittier is the abandon police station on Damen which has sat vacant for several years. The parents say that Solis promised them that the build...

Financial Crisis Brings Historic Opportunity…

www.whatnowtoons.com Wow, what a difference a few weeks can make. Less than a month ago, every mainstream mass media outlet, U.S. politician, economic analyst, and probably the majority of average citizens would still have been singing the praises of the unfettered free market. Regulation was still a dirty word and privatization was still equated with efficiency and prosperity. Granted, the sand had already begun to shift under this ideological edifice of 30+ years. The sub-prime mortgage crisis and the bursting of the housing bubble had seriously shaken the confidence of some in the system. I had mentioned repeatedly on Labor Express Radio over the Summer the glaring contrast between the soaring gas prices we experienced here in the laissez-faire fuel market of the U.S. as compared to the low and stable prices maintained by the state oil company of our neighbor to the south. But none of that seemed to really change the mainstream belief in this country that free markets solve all prob...

R.I.P. UAW…

OK, I realize those are harsh words, but I can’t help feeling real sadness today as I read reports of what the UAW agreed to in its settlement with GM. As I am sure you have all heard already, the strike was ended today (after just two days), with the announcement by Gettelfinger that a tentative agreement had been reached. The exact details of the agreement won’t be known till at least late this week, when the members vote to ratify (or not) the contract. You can listen to audio of Gettelfinger’s announcement here… http://www.uaw.org/ Now I am not saying we should relish the idea of a long strike. Strikes are always much harder on the individual worker than they are on their corporate bosses. No one wants a long drawn out strike that leads to workers losing their homes, pulling kids out of college, sinking deeper into debt, etc., etc., etc. Let me say right of the bat, even though I have been a labor activist for 15 years, I have never myself had to endure the pain of a strike. But I ...