Skip to main content

URGENT ACTION from FLOC...

CALL REYNOLDS AMERICAN CEO SUSAN IVEY
By 4:30pm ET, Friday, February 6

TELL HER TO MEET WITH THE FARM LABOR ORGANIZING COMMITTEE (FLOC)

FLOC is campaigning to bring Reynolds Tobacco into the new system of agriculture which guarantees the rights and dignity of migrant farmworkers. (For more information, see Justice for Tobacco Field Workers.) We need your help!

1. Call Reynolds American CEO Susan Ivey at 336-741-5000.

2. When Auto Attendant answers asking with whom you want to speak say: Susan Ivey.

During Business Hours (8:00am to 4:30pm ET) you will be transferred to
a receptionist in CEO Ivey’s office.

Ask to speak with CEO Susan Ivey.
The receptionist will say CEO Ivey is busy and then ask you the reason for your call.

Say that you are calling to ask CEO Ivey to meet with FLOC.
The receptionist will then transfer you to the person handling that project.
The receptionist may transfer you to Mr. Strasburg or someone else
whose phone will then go into voice mail.

You can paraphrase the following message, but the main point is: CEO Ivey meet with FLOC.
________________________________________

This message is for Reynolds CEO Susan Ivey.

My name is ___________________, and I’m calling to request that you meet with FLOC which represents migrant workers who harvest the tobacco used by Reynolds.

While I realize that the farm workers are not employed directly by Reynolds, but I also know that your company has the ultimate responsibility to ensure safe and fair working conditions for the thousands of tobacco harvesters in your supply chain.

Again, I urge you to meet with FLOC.

Thank you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The occupation has ended but the struggle goes on…

The occupation of La Casita at Whittier was brought to a close tonight. The Whittier parents are declaring victory in the battle of La Casita as Ron Huberman’s office put in writing today the guarantee not to demolish the field house and to lease it to the parents group at $1 a year. However the war is far from over… The issue of the library is yet to be resolved. CPS still insists that they can find space inside the school building for the library. The parents insist there is no space in the school and that the library should be located in the field house. The parents insist that Huberman and Alderman Solis already agreed that TIF funds would be used to complete the repairs necessary at La Casita. Huberman’s letter today did not make this clear. A half block away from Whittier is the abandon police station on Damen which has sat vacant for several years. The parents say that Solis promised them that the build...

Financial Crisis Brings Historic Opportunity…

www.whatnowtoons.com Wow, what a difference a few weeks can make. Less than a month ago, every mainstream mass media outlet, U.S. politician, economic analyst, and probably the majority of average citizens would still have been singing the praises of the unfettered free market. Regulation was still a dirty word and privatization was still equated with efficiency and prosperity. Granted, the sand had already begun to shift under this ideological edifice of 30+ years. The sub-prime mortgage crisis and the bursting of the housing bubble had seriously shaken the confidence of some in the system. I had mentioned repeatedly on Labor Express Radio over the Summer the glaring contrast between the soaring gas prices we experienced here in the laissez-faire fuel market of the U.S. as compared to the low and stable prices maintained by the state oil company of our neighbor to the south. But none of that seemed to really change the mainstream belief in this country that free markets solve all prob...

R.I.P. UAW…

OK, I realize those are harsh words, but I can’t help feeling real sadness today as I read reports of what the UAW agreed to in its settlement with GM. As I am sure you have all heard already, the strike was ended today (after just two days), with the announcement by Gettelfinger that a tentative agreement had been reached. The exact details of the agreement won’t be known till at least late this week, when the members vote to ratify (or not) the contract. You can listen to audio of Gettelfinger’s announcement here… http://www.uaw.org/ Now I am not saying we should relish the idea of a long strike. Strikes are always much harder on the individual worker than they are on their corporate bosses. No one wants a long drawn out strike that leads to workers losing their homes, pulling kids out of college, sinking deeper into debt, etc., etc., etc. Let me say right of the bat, even though I have been a labor activist for 15 years, I have never myself had to endure the pain of a strike. But I ...