Skip to main content

UPS and Hoffa Don't Deliver for Workers...


Teamsters Trade Gains of 1997 UPS Strike for Deal to Organize Members at Freight Division
— Mark Brenner


In mid-November Teamsters (IBT) at United Parcel Service approved a controversial five-year agreement, more than eight months before the expiration of their current contract.

The new contract will pull 44,000 Teamsters out of the union’s multi-employer Central States pension plan, and end conversion of part-time into full-time jobs at UPS. It also widens the gap between full-time and part-time standards, freezing part-timers’ starting pay and forcing new part-timers to work for a year before they are eligible for health care coverage.

These givebacks were accepted in spite of the company’s healthy bottom line, UPS reported more than $4 billion in pre-tax net income last year...


READ THE REST AT THE LABOR NOTES WEBSITE...



Check out the opposition to this concessionary contract here...

Comments

  1. Dear Sir,

    Your comments with regard to the recent HOFFA v UPS sellout just came across my desk. Its apparent you understand how seriously injurious this contract is to the rank and file and future UPS employees, not to mention the effect on the middle class. There is much more behind the scenes that you would have no way of knowing about, let alone fathom.

    UPS in collusion with the International does more damage to young part-timers and future employees, and their families than the public or you could possibly comprehend.

    I have a long history of union involvement with UPS that continues to this day even though I was forced to retire from UPS almost 13 years ago.

    Sincerely,

    Douglas Page Chapman Sr
    6619 Dralle Road
    Monee, IL 60449-9431
    708-534-0490-Home
    708-359-9592-Cell
    Advocate PUPS Inc & NABER Inc http://pupsinc.homestead.com/naber1.html
    36-1/2 years member in good standing IBT Locals 705 & 710
    Over 55 years experience UPS/BROWN 30 years an employee, and 18+ years when my Dad was an employee.

    ReplyDelete
  2. American labor unions have become "liuetenants of big business". They are part of the capitalist system and they must be dissolved and be reborn again through socialist revolution and administered by the dictatorship of the proletariat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi both Dougs, sorry for my slow response, I was tied up with other matters over the holiday season. Thank you for your feedback. Yes, I agree with the both of you in regards to the damage this contract does, not only to UPS employees but to the whole labor movement. In 1997, under reformer Ron Carey, one of the main slogans of the UPS strike was... "Part Time America Won't Work!" And they struck a major blow to the part-timization of the U.S. workforce in that strike. It seems Hoffa is slogan is more like... "Screw the Part-Timers". I am a big fan of the work of labor historian Kim Moody, and his new book lays the bulk of the blame for organized labor's decline in recent decades on the concessionary tenor of the union officialdom since the 1970's and before. The UPS contract is a wonderful illustration of his point.


    Doug 2, though I quite understand your frustration with the union bosses, and share your desire for a radical transformation of our society, I am still convinced that such a transformation is dependent on a renewed, revitalized labor movement. But I mean labor movement in the broadest sense of the term. In many ways it is the new emerging forms of workers organization (worker's centers, the CIW, minority unions, workers associations) that I think offer some of the best hope for this revitalization. The growth of these new forms of labor organization along with a return to the militant, creative traditions of the IWW and the CIO, is U.S. labors only hope.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The occupation has ended but the struggle goes on…

The occupation of La Casita at Whittier was brought to a close tonight. The Whittier parents are declaring victory in the battle of La Casita as Ron Huberman’s office put in writing today the guarantee not to demolish the field house and to lease it to the parents group at $1 a year. However the war is far from over… The issue of the library is yet to be resolved. CPS still insists that they can find space inside the school building for the library. The parents insist there is no space in the school and that the library should be located in the field house. The parents insist that Huberman and Alderman Solis already agreed that TIF funds would be used to complete the repairs necessary at La Casita. Huberman’s letter today did not make this clear. A half block away from Whittier is the abandon police station on Damen which has sat vacant for several years. The parents say that Solis promised them that the build...

Financial Crisis Brings Historic Opportunity…

www.whatnowtoons.com Wow, what a difference a few weeks can make. Less than a month ago, every mainstream mass media outlet, U.S. politician, economic analyst, and probably the majority of average citizens would still have been singing the praises of the unfettered free market. Regulation was still a dirty word and privatization was still equated with efficiency and prosperity. Granted, the sand had already begun to shift under this ideological edifice of 30+ years. The sub-prime mortgage crisis and the bursting of the housing bubble had seriously shaken the confidence of some in the system. I had mentioned repeatedly on Labor Express Radio over the Summer the glaring contrast between the soaring gas prices we experienced here in the laissez-faire fuel market of the U.S. as compared to the low and stable prices maintained by the state oil company of our neighbor to the south. But none of that seemed to really change the mainstream belief in this country that free markets solve all prob...

R.I.P. UAW…

OK, I realize those are harsh words, but I can’t help feeling real sadness today as I read reports of what the UAW agreed to in its settlement with GM. As I am sure you have all heard already, the strike was ended today (after just two days), with the announcement by Gettelfinger that a tentative agreement had been reached. The exact details of the agreement won’t be known till at least late this week, when the members vote to ratify (or not) the contract. You can listen to audio of Gettelfinger’s announcement here… http://www.uaw.org/ Now I am not saying we should relish the idea of a long strike. Strikes are always much harder on the individual worker than they are on their corporate bosses. No one wants a long drawn out strike that leads to workers losing their homes, pulling kids out of college, sinking deeper into debt, etc., etc., etc. Let me say right of the bat, even though I have been a labor activist for 15 years, I have never myself had to endure the pain of a strike. But I ...