OK, I realize those are harsh words, but I can’t help feeling real sadness today as I read reports of what the UAW agreed to in its settlement with GM. As I am sure you have all heard already, the strike was ended today (after just two days), with the announcement by Gettelfinger that a tentative agreement had been reached. The exact details of the agreement won’t be known till at least late this week, when the members vote to ratify (or not) the contract. You can listen to audio of Gettelfinger’s announcement here… http://www.uaw.org/ Now I am not saying we should relish the idea of a long strike. Strikes are always much harder on the individual worker than they are on their corporate bosses. No one wants a long drawn out strike that leads to workers losing their homes, pulling kids out of college, sinking deeper into debt, etc., etc., etc. Let me say right of the bat, even though I have been a labor activist for 15 years, I have never myself had to endure the pain of a strike. But I ...
Malcolm Suber stuck his political signs all over the new orleans traffic signal light poles. They are still there today. Is this a person you want in political office? These signs were designed to be stuck on metal to last a long time. It makes thousands mad in the city every day when they have to look at his signs every day months after the election. Malcolm has been asked numerous times to remove these stickers. He refused to do so. This marketing ploy has definently backfired on him for sure.
ReplyDelete